Listen to Podcast Episode 74: What Does God Do?
I can hear the little boy ask his momma—he says, “Momma, what does God do?”
The momma looks at him and smiles and laughs a little bit and says, “Oh, my son—that is such a great question.”
Then, she opens up the book of Psalms in the Hebrew Scriptures, and says, “God does 10 things I know for sure and oh so much more. Here are 10 things he does:
1. He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
2. He determines the number of stars and calls them each by name.
3. He understands—in fact, his understanding has no limit.
4. He sustains the humble, but he casts the wicked to the ground.
5. He covers the sky with clouds, supplies the earth with rain, makes grass grow on the hills.
6. He provides food for the cattle and for the young ravens when they call.
7. (My son, this one I like the most.) He delights in those who revere him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.
8. He strengthens the authority of your gates, even blesses you with children.
9. He brings peace to your borders and satisfies you with every good thing to eat.
10. He speaks to those who listen.
You see son, God loves you and that will never change. I open the Bible every day and I hear things that will help me to know the truth about life, the truth about me, and the truth about you.
You know what I discovered? It’s that you are beloved and God will never shift on that.
So when I awake in the morning, I go and I’m very, very still, and I chose who I listen to. I decide that I will listen to the one who made me in his image, and he identified himself as my kind and loving and gentle father.
I hope you can hear this morning a loving Father speak to you. Psalm 147 will take you there.
All the best today—you are loved,
Terry Sanford Smith